Pages

March 30, 2014

Poissons d'Avril!

If you have never heard of Poisson d'Avril, let me give you a quick explanation: In France, we have this funny tradition that goes on every April 1st: people (mostly kids but adults play along) make paper fish and try to tape them on people's back without them noticing. With the happy papers from my March Scraptastic kit and this pin, I decided to create paper fish but for my walls. They will go up on Tuesday to celebrate this fun custom:


And here is a quick tutorial, in case you want to make your own!
First I hand drew a template, then I folded each patterned paper in half so that I would end up with two fish together: 
I cut small piece of bubble wrap to stuff them with (but you can use cotton or tissue paper). I also created hole protectors or "eyes" out of card stock:
I sewed around the two pieces of paper for each fish but when I was halfway done, I stuffed the bubble wrap inside and finished sewing:
I punched a hole and glued the eye on my puffy fish:
Finally, I attached twine to each fish and tied them up on a stick. "Poisson d'Avril" :)

This tutorial was created for the Scraptastic blog but I wanted to share it here too. Do you have any April's Fool day traditions?

4 comments:

  1. Sooooooooo fun! I loveeeeeeeeee these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lot more fun than trying to trick people on April Fools Day. We usually just do gentle ones: shouting "Look! it's finally snowing" seems to work round here every time, because we are always on the lookout for a little snow by now if we haven't had any all winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puffy fish for the wall, love this idea and easy to make, Thanks for the inspiration Nathalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the boys always try to catch us out on April Fools Day and us them. This fish traditions sounds like much more fun! Great fish making tut...that bubble wrap works a treat x x

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and everyone of your comments. I also answer questions within the comment section. Merci!