Pages

March 30, 2010

Book reviews

I have been a little quiet on the blog as I am creating some DT projects with my April Transparent Touches kit! I feel so ...lucky! (OK, that was a major hint as to what kit I am working with!:) ~ So in the meantime, I thought I would share a review of a couple of books I have just been reading. They are not new releases and they are not really scrapbooking related but they are giving me some fun and new ideas for pages.

Je suis un peu absente ces derniers jours car je suis en train de créer mes projets de DT avec le kit d'avril de Transparent Touches. J'ai tellement de la chance... (là, je vous donne un sérieux indice du kit avec lequel je travaille!:) ~ En attendant donc, j'ai pensé vous donner mon avis sur deux livres que je viens de lire. Ils ne sont pas traduits en français alors je vais laisser ma critique en anglais mais si vous avez des questions, n'hésitez pas à me laisser un petit com'.

52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity by Jeffrey Yamaguchi was a little disappointing. I started reading it with the intention of using it once a week for 52 weeks but I quickly discovered that some ideas were not really intended for a mother of 2 but more for a fresh out of college guy that enjoyed partying... nevertheless, I ended up going through the whole book and writing myself notes as it sparked a couple of ideas for future pages. And I wrote down the following, very "Ali-ish", quotes that I liked:
"You've got an endless reserve of stories worth getting down on paper, and each passing day offers up new ones to chronicle."
"Regardless, whether the quality is professional grade or point-and-shot simple, there's a story - and value- in every photograph." (that speaks to my average photographer's complex)

In a few words: Don't purchase it but borrow it from your library :)

Now Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a great (and easy) read! Not only does she have a great sense of humor and writing abilities but her concept of alphabetized entries make me want to start my own version. The content of these entries and her tables are also giving me a lot of ideas of things to remember to scrap about.

In a few words: I think this is a great purchase especially if you are looking for ideas for pages or mini albums, or to read it just for fun!

And if you have already read any of those, please chime in and tell me what you thought of them! I would love to hear your opinion!

A bientôt!

10 comments:

  1. That's so disappointing about 52 Projects. Thanks for the heads up on getting it at the library! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love reviews... thanks for yours! i will make sure not to read 52 projects. cant wait to see your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathalie, I love reviews, too. Thank you so much! !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Encyclopedia has been on my list for awhile now. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book reviews, Nathalie! Appreciate the heads up on 52 projects.. something I definitely would have picked up in B&N. Love the quotes you were able to eek from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reviews are the best! Thanks so much Nathalie! I also worship at the feet of the Goddess Ali.It is OK...it is OK....and yes, she actually said that to me once at a crop, before her first book came out. True story. (Also true is that I'd just stamped an enormous number upside down on the card I was working on. And she was right...it was OK.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reviews! Thanks.

    The 52 project books looks interesting, but one to borrow, not buy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathalie,
    love the reviews!! I have the Encyclopedia and it's a hoot to read!!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and everyone of your comments. I also answer questions within the comment section. Merci!