Pages

July 01, 2010

Tutorial: 4th of July banner

I have been invited to guest design for Workout #23 on the Scrapfit challenge blog and the challenge was to make your own embellishments. Here is one of the projects I created for it and in the process, I also created this tutorial for the TTT blog:

This post is photo heavy but don't let that make you think that it is a difficult project because it is quite the opposite! And thanks to a free printable download you don't even need any patterned papers!!!


Supplies:
- 3 sheets of 8.5X11 cardstock (in white or cream)
- old book page
- red paper scrap
- alphas

1/ Go to Tricia-Rennea's blog to download and print the pennants: http://triciarennea.blogspot.com/2010/06/red-white-and-blue.html
I printed them on cream cardstock to give the banner a little vintage look but I think it would also look stunning on white cardstock.

2/ Cut and score the pennants:

3/I then added stitching details but they are totally optional!
4/ Punch small circles out of the scraps of cardstock you printed on to use as backing to the "yo-yos" (I don't really know how they are called!). Cut paper strips from an old book to about 1"X8" and score them at 1/4" intervals before folding as shown below:


5/ Glue the ends of the strip together and the bottom onto a circle. It is not easy to keep them flat so I added a bottle of paint on top of them while the glue dried.

6/ I then cut circles and stars from red scrap paper and added the alphas on top:

And with next to nothing, you have a fun home decoration for this weekend!



Thank you Tricia-Rennea for the awesome downloads! And I wish you all a fabulous 4th of July weekend!

14 comments:

  1. This is sooooooooooooooooooooo GORGEOUS Nathalie!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee those little flowers!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful banner tutorial!!! lovely work!!! I expect to see another one for 7/14!! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jing-Jing! I guess I can just add a "1" on the last pennant! teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah oui, elle est déjà très belle pour le 4 alors pour le 14: Pile-poil!
    Super super boulot Nathalie!!!!
    et le fait qu'il y ait des petits fanions entre rajoute un je ne sais quoi ;-)

    BISES

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! Fabulous! And, as there are NO 4th of July decorations here, hooray I can make this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super banner and tutorial. I love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Banner! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh nathalie that is just beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that banner is awesome! Your yo yo's are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely banner! and love your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the "yo-yo's" I've wanted to try making those. You make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this!!!! Man, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nathalie, your banner is just gorgeous!!! I love the details!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and everyone of your comments. I also answer questions within the comment section. Merci!