Pages

August 04, 2013

Tutorial: Have a whale of a time moving card

Note: I created this tutorial for Scraptastic Club and it appeared on their blog on July 15th.

Happy Sunday! I have a new card for you today and I even have a tutorial to go with it. This card was inspired by the lovable whale stamp included in the Scraptastic Club Rock Lobster stamp set. As soon as I saw it I wanted to make it swim! After some research, I found out that there was a way with just a couple of pennies :)


Let me show you how: (all measurements are in inches)
1/ First, cut some white card stock to 5.5x8.5 and fold it in half to make the base of the card. Cut the background paper to 4x5.25:

2/ Grab the document I created below on google.docs and print it on regular copy paper: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B82uLr7gEht0Y3VSSnFvLVRfWVU/edit?usp=sharing   

3/ Line the copy paper over card stock and empty out the shape, as shown:

4/ Trim the sides (to about 5x2) so that the cardstock fits in the center of the card base. Trim the top with a border punch or, like I did with old fashion scallop scissors:

5/ Now grab your stamp set and stamp the whale on paper (you might have noticed, I ended up stamping it on pink cardstock after taking these photos). Detail cut the image. Then, grab two pennies and place two circle pop dots as seen here:

6/ Attach the two pennies together then attach the whale to the top of one of the pennies:
 

7/ Insert the slider by bending the cardstock slightly and making the cardstock go between the two pennies. Add 3D tape on the back as shown here. Test your slider to make sure that the tape on the back doesn't block the pennies:
 

8/ Adhere the above contraption to the base of the card:

9/Cut the sentiment from the paper printed in step 2 and attach to the card along with a couple of stickers from the Simple Stories sticker sheet:

...and here it is swimming back and forth (thanks to my DH ;)

Isn't it fun? I can't wait to send it to my animal loving nephew!
Happy Scrapping!

9 comments:

  1. OMYGOSH!!! That is GENIUS!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, let's try this again....Your card is too cute! That is so clever! I love that whale stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super tuto!!! merci!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this post while I was on vacation, but didn't realize I didn't leave a comment! This is an AWESOME card!!! I love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and everyone of your comments. I also answer questions within the comment section. Merci!