Pages

March 02, 2010

The results of my latest sewing urge...

... might seam (teehee) pretty simple to some of you but, as I am still very much a beginner, I did have a couple of struggles with them! Anyhow, I love it when I can get crafty and make something very practical at the same time, like this sewing machine cover and storage basket:

Since I have been using it a lot for scrapbooking, I wanted to keep my machine out of the closet and on my table but I needed to protect it from the dust so, I was very happy when I found this tutorial on sew4home and purchased this Jessica Jones fabric to match the painting above my table.
Then, I made a storage basket based on this tutorial from the same site except I didn't make it collapsible and I customized its size to fit all my Thickers + alphas stickers and fit on my shelves (it is about 12X71/2"). It was my first time sewing a binding and it is a good thing that sewing is pretty forgiving!!! I ended up faking the sewing on the top binding (and used glue!) because the fabric + cardboard would not fit under the foot of my machine as instructed in the tutorial (if somebody knows how to deal with that sort of problem, I would love to hear it!).
In the meantime, I am going back to scrapbooking! :P

Mes projets de couture peuvent sembler assez simplets pour certaines d'entre vous, mais en tant que débutante j'ai eu un peu de mal à certains moments! J'aime quand même les résultats surtout quand ils sont si pratiques!
Puisque je m'en sers beaucoup pour le scrap, je voulais laisser ma machine sur ma table au lieu d'avoir à la ranger sans arrêt dans le placard. J'ai donc acheté ce beau tissu de Jessica Jones pour aller avec mon décor et trouvé ce tuto assez simple.
Ensuite j'ai fait cette boite de rangement avec ce tuto du même site sauf que j'ai agrandit le format pour pouvoir ranger tous mes Thickers et autres alphabets et qu'elle tienne juste sur mon étagère. J'ai eu un peu de mal avec les bordures et j'ai même triché en finissant par coller celle du haut car, malgré les directives du tuto, carton+tissus ne tenaient pas sous mon aiguille (si vous avez un tuyau pour ce genre de problême, je suis preneuse!).
Enfin, en attendant, je retourne au scrap! :P


9 comments:

  1. I don't have a single ounce of craftiness in me, pas un soupcon du tout! LOL so this does not look simple to me, au contraire, it is awfully impressively complicated looking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mais c'est GENIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAouhhhhh!!
    Débutante, débutante, faut le dire vite!!
    BRAVO! Tes deux projets sont superbes!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just drug out my machine & used it on a layout for the first time this weekend. Very cute cover, but I'm not sure if I could actually make it myself! :)

    Just stopping by from Today's Creative! Signed up to follow you! Stop by my blog when you get a chance, I'm always looking for a few more crafty followers! http://juliechats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This doesn't look simple at all -it looks amazing!! I whish I could make something useful like that. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work! I have been surfing the Internet looking for sewing tutorials, now I think I will put one of them to use :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your sewing projects are awesome! so proud of you!!! great idea about the sewing machine cover...i may need to make that myself.
    hope to see more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl you are on fire with that sewing... I think both projects are incredible!! I especially love the storage tray. WTG!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and everyone of your comments. I also answer questions within the comment section. Merci!